Easter is coming and who could imagine Easter without hot cross buns. So we thought we would share Suzannah’s hot cross buns recipe with you. We often have guests at Lagoon Pocket Bed & Breakfast who say they must dig out the bread maker from the back of the kitchen cupboard when they get home. Well here is a great excuse to do just that! And if you can’t be bothered, we still have a couple of rooms at Lagoon Pocket B&B available for the Easter long weekend, when Suzannah will be serving both traditional and Chocolate Hot Cross Buns!
Traditional Hot Cross Buns (using a bread maker)
Ingredients for Hot Cross Buns
For the bun
1 egg lightly beaten
2 tbl Oil (Canola)
1 tsp Salt
2 tbl Sugar (Brown preferably)
600g (4 cups) Bread Flour
3 tbl Milk Powder
2 1/4 tsp Yeast
1 tbl Cinnamon
1 tbl Mixed Spice
1 tsp ground Cloves (optional)
150gm (1/2 cup) Sultanas
45g (1/4 cup) mixed peel
1/4 cup Plain Flour
2 tbls water
1/2 cup Icing Sugar sifted
1/2 tsp Allspice (optional)
1/2 tsp ground Cinnamon
2 tbl Water
Cooking Hot Cross Buns
1.Put all the bun ingredients except the fruit into the bread maker and set to Dough program.
2. When the break maker beeps for ingredients that you don’t want churned up add the sultanas and mixed peel. If your bread maker doesn’t have this option leave these ingredients to the end and knead into the sweet dough.
3. At the end of the dough cycle take out the dough, knead to get out the air bubbles then roll into 18+ balls, place on an oiled baking tray, leave in a warm spot for 30 mins to rise.
4. When you hot cross buns are nicely risen mix 2bls of water and 1/4 cup plain flour together into a smooth batter. Spoon into a piping bag and pipe a cross on each of the buns.
5. Bake in a pre-heated oven at 180C for 15/20 mins until lightly golden brown. Meanwhile prepare your glaze, mix together icing sugar, allspice, cinnamon and water in a small bowl.
6. Slide the buns from the baking tray onto a wire rack and brush with glaze whilst still warm.
Enjoy your hot cross buns warm with butter……
I know this sounds, and is, fiddly but the result is delicious and you will never go back to shop bought buns again!
Variations on Hot Cross Buns
You can make Chocolate Hot Cross Buns by omitting the fruit and spices from the recipe, instead add 2 tbl Cocoa powder at the dough making stage. Then when you take the dough out of the machine add 1 cup of chocolate drops (the smaller the drops the better) I have added this at the fruit stage and it has melted in the machine so best to knead them in later.
Last year a guest told me she puts cut up apricots in, instead of peel. So as long as you stick to the quantities you can mix and match your fruits/chocolate, and add more or less or different spice. But you absolutely MUST tell me of any truly great combinations!
Enjoy your hot cross buns!